Krylon Weatherproof / Waterproof Label Overcoat Spray
Some labelling jobs need extra protection to keep ink from running. Sure, you could apply messy paraffin wax or buy a box of crayons and only use the white one, but the appearance of your label will suffer. There's an easier option without sacrificing aesthetics: OnlineLabels.com offers weatherproof / waterproof labels. For instances when extreme durability is a necessity, we created this step-by-step guide on how to make waterproof labels. We suggest a clear overcoat spray such as Krylon’s "Preserve It!" for the topcoat. This spray can be picked up at most hardware stores and is great for both non-weatherproof labels that may come into contact with wet or humid conditions and weatherproof labels that need maximum staying power.
Here are some labelling projects that may require an extra coat of protective spray:
- Inkjet labels printed with vivid, highly saturated colours that may come into contact with moisture or heavy handling
- Labels that may come into contact with chemicals
- Applications where abrasion or scratching is a concern
- Inkjet labels that may be refrigerated or frozen
- Labels for outdoor use
- Labels that are intended for use with soaps, oils, or other cosmetic products
How to Apply the Spray
- Print out your labels and make sure they are completely dry.
- Peel off the spacing material that separates the labels. This will make peeling the labels possible after you apply the spray.
- Place the labels on a clean surface. Shake your spray can vigorously for about a minute.
- Hold the can 254-305 millimetres away from the surface of the labels and spray one coat using a sweeping motion while keeping an even distance from the label sheet.
- For an even coat, begin spraying off the surface of the labels and pass over the sheet to the other edge. Release the spray button after each pass and give the can a good shake. Repeat until label sheet is covered.
- Allow the labels to dry for 10-15 minutes. Wash your hands thoroughly after each use!
You're finished waterproofing your labels! Use your extra-durable DIY waterproof labels in any situation with confidence. They work great with glass jars, plastic bottles, and other containers that may come into contact with water or moisture. Give your labels the extra advantage with our weatherproof label paper and waterproof sticker paper as the base.